Newsreel

Feed the Homeless: George - 48 years old (Thanksgiving Edition)

Houston, Texas. Friday, November 27th, 2020 

I met George at the intersection of Almeda Rd and Cleburne St laying on a blue tarp under the bridge hiding from Houston’s off and on rain. I asked him if he would like to share a meal with me at the Peggy Park across the street and he agreed. I asked him what he would like to eat (he asked for burgers, fries and a shake) and UberEats came to the rescue. 

We maintained our social distance of 6 feet and we started chatting about life as we had our lunch and when I asked him about his current situation: "I've been trying to find work with the city with no luck. So now I take any job: a handyman, cut grass, odd moving jobs, almost anything that will help people" he said. “I have a family, but I haven’t seen them in years. Last time I saw my daughter was 10 years ago. I drank and still do and I did drugs. I fell off the wagon too many times and destroyed my life. I just didn't know how to stop. I wish to find a job and never be hungry again.” He said with a sad voice. 

He shared few more painful stories as well and said "You have to live life to learn". But there has to be ways that life’s lessons can be a little less painful for people like him. I urge you to consider donating to a charity near you to help people in need. 

George was thankful for the company and he was very appreciative for the lunch. We wished each other’s a good day and hoped our paths to cross in the future.

Stay tuned for more stories on Feed the Homeless Day blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment